Our GCSE History course follows the OCR exam board and focuses on modern world history. During our two year programme of study, we explore in depth Germany 1918-1945, the Cold War 1945-1975 & Britain 1939-1975. Our controlled assessment (Historical Enquiry) examines events in the USA between 1919-1941.
The GCSE course is assessed through a combination of written examination and controlled assessment:
- Paper 1 Depth and Core studies—Germany 1918-1945 / Cold War 1945-1975. 2 hour exam worth 45% of the qualification.
- Paper 2 British Depth Study—How far did British society change, 1939-1975? 1 1/2 hour exam worth 30% of the qualification.
- Historical Enquiry (Controlled Assessment) - USA 1919-1941. 2,000 word written essay, marked internally and externally moderated, worth 25% of the qualification.
Opportunities at CEC and beyond
- A GCSE in History is well regarded by further and higher education establishments and by employers as a rigorous and academically challenging qualification.
- GCSE History can lead to further study at A-Level, but which also compliments a wide range of other subjects.
- A qualification in History can open career paths in business, the media and law, as well as politics, research and the heritage sector.
- The department runs a residential visit to Germany to support the teaching of the course.
Other Humanities subjects, Business, English & Modern Foreign Languages.